Jolly Blogger Award

the-jolly-blogger-award

Many thanks to the amazing Karen from Confetti and Curves for the Jolly Blogger Award nomination. Karen is an awesome and supportive person and a great blogger, so do check out her blog if you haven’t already.

The Jolly Blogger Award is very simple: you must answer the 12 questions left by the person who nominated you, create 12 different questions of your own and nominate 10 other bloggers for the award! First up, my answers to the 12 questions:

1) What is on your Christmas wish list?

Well, nothing I strictly need of course. I booked myself a trip to San Fransisco to meet a close friend, which was my Christmas/Birthday/everything else gift to myself this year. If I had to name one thing, it would be the Nars limited edition Virtual Domination Cheek Palette.

2) What would be the perfect Christmas?

A relaxed day with family and friends: just spending the day talking, laughing, and eating good food. I have just conspired with my brother to watch the extended version of Desolation of Smaug on Christmas day (not very Christmassy, but so good. I watched Battle of the Five Armies yesterday in 3D and it was too awesome for words!)

3) What is your favorite Winter Makeup look?

A radiant base with a nice natural blush (pink or peach) combined with either a winged liner for a statement eye or a pretty red lip.

4) Do you believe in Santa?

No, like most Dutchies I actually believe in Sinterklaas. This Dutch traditional children’s feast takes place every year on December 5th and is in fact the origin for the American Santaclaus tradition. Sinterklaas is a saint who travels to the Netherlands on a steamboat from his home in Spain with his horse and helpers. On his birthday, he brings gifts to children who have behaved well and threatens to drag naughty children back to Spain in a burlap sack. Sounds bad? Do google the current controversy about the racism of his helpers, the Zwarte Piet (Black Pete), who are portrayed by grownups in black face.

5) What is your favourite Christmas drink or food?

I have a rather substantial sweet tooth, so my favourite is the socalled Amandelletter. This is a sweet almond paste surrounded by crispy puff pastry shaped into a letter.

banketletter

My father used to receive one at work every Christmas time. It is the perfect accompaniment to hot chocolate.

6) Will you be traveling for Christmas? If so where to?

Technically, I will be travelling to my parents… but they only live 20 minutes away (yes, the Netherlands is rather small). They live near the sea though, so I am looking forward to long walks through the dunes and on the beach.

7) Would you prefer a snowy Christmas or no snow?

I would love a little dusting of snow on Christmas, the kind that looks fluffy and powdery and floats down softly and more importantly disappears quickly. Proper snow tends to send the Netherlands into chaos: ever tried cycling through muddy snow/ice? Let’s skip that shall we.

8) Do you like eggnog?

No idea, it isn’t something we drink here. I will have to try it if I am ever stateside during the festive season.

9) What is your Favorite winter clothing?

I love chunky long knitted cardigans, preferably in grey or pastel tones. So comfy and warm! They can be styled for an evening in on the couch or with festive glitters and high heels for a night on the town.

10) Do you leave Santa Cookies? If so who eats them?

I will have to admit to my ignorance once again, what are Santa Cookies? Having googled this, I can confirm you have also stolen this idea from Sinterklaas. In the Netherlands, children put a single shoe underneath the chimney with a carrot for Amerigo (Sinterklaas’ horse) in return for a small present in the run-up to December 5th and the actual presents.

11) What has been the best Christmas gift you ever received?

My family has only ever celebrated one Christmas with gifts, as we usually do Sinterklaas on December 5th. So I will cheat a little and recall the best Sinterklaas gift ever: a doll house my parents had constructed themselves. My dad put it together and my mother furnished it with carpet, curtains and wallpaper. On my birthday (a month later), I received furniture sets to complete the house.

12) What is your favourite Christmas memory?

Spending all day ice skating on the pond in front of my parents’ house and coming back inside for some hot chocolate.

Now, I have followed Karen’s excellent lead and cheated a little here. I really liked all the questions, so I have copied several and added some new ones.

• What is on your Christmas wishlist?
  • What is your favourite Christmas memory?
  • Do you believe in Santa?
  • Would you prefer a snowy Christmas or no snow?
  • What has been the best Christmas gift you ever received?
  • What is your favorite Winter Makeup look?
  • Which item of clothing is your favourite winter wear?
  • What will you be doing on New Year’s Eve?
  • Describe your perfect New Year’s Eve outfit.
  • What is on your nails right now?
  • Name one item of makeup you cannot live without.
  • What is your latest celebrity crush?

Finally, here are my ten nominations. Please do not feel obliged to do this if you are short on time in this busy season or if you have already been nominated (in which case sorry).

Ymorbeauty

Perfect Imperfections

Annie’s beauty

Beauty2dCore

Totes&Teas

Gemma Alison

Moe:PA

The Beauty Truth

Beautyandthemedia

Sayhellotogorgeous

22 thoughts on “Jolly Blogger Award

1. Nadine December 18, 2014 / 8:48 pm

I loved reading this, Anne! 😀 It was incredibly interesting to me to read how your traditions differ so much. That doll house sounds absolutely amazing! I think that would be any girl’s dream doll’s house. I used to love playing with mine although it was slightly different to a conventional doll house. It provided hours of fun!
    The Hobbit movies are amazing! 🙂

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 9:08 pm

Thanks Nadine!
      The doll house was great (and is stored in the attic somewhere safe).
      Have you seen Hobbit 3 yet? I loved it, but my friends haven’t watched it yet so I can’t discuss it with anyone 😦

• Nadine December 18, 2014 / 9:17 pm

Mine is also stored away. When my little niece gets older, she can play with it and then I will keep it for one day when I have children. 🙂
        Is that the Battle of the Five Armies? I have seen that one. 😀 I took a trip to the cinema on Tuesday.

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 9:19 pm

Oh great, I saw it on monday and have wanted to talk to someone about it. I thought it was great, what did you think?

• Nadine December 18, 2014 / 9:22 pm

It was amazing! And the 3D was brilliant too. I would definitely rate it as one of the best 3D films I have seen. I nearly reached out to touch the snow at the end during the battle. It seemed so real. 😀

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 9:31 pm

Oh I had the same thing with the snow 🙂
            I loved the 3D: it made the battle and landscape shots so great. I thought it was better than LOTR, but that might be a contentious issue among the purists 😀

• Nadine December 18, 2014 / 9:33 pm

I need to still watch Lord of the Rings. A friend of mine keeps reminding me that I should.
            Everything looked amazing! It really brings everything to life. 🙂

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 9:48 pm

They might actually be slightly disappointing after the Hobbit, but still great fun 🙂

• Nadine December 18, 2014 / 10:01 pm

I will watch them anyway. 😀 When I can find them, that is. I enjoy films like that quite a lot. I also love the Pirates of the Caribbean films. For some reason they all seem similar to me although The Pirates of the Caribbean is very different, I suppose.
            I love Gollum in The Hobbit. 😀 I find him to be so adorable. I can’t help but laugh at him.

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 9:10 pm

Thanks! It was the best ever 🙂

2. Sun December 18, 2014 / 8:32 pm

Congrats and thanks on the nomination! I enjoyed reading your answers 🙂 My family never really celebrated Christmas, but I still love how festive it gets around this time! And I’m so jealous you’re going to SF – hope you have a fabulous time!

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 9:05 pm

Thanks 🙂
      I agree, the festive lights just provide a great atmosphere!

3. annie'sbeauty... December 18, 2014 / 12:36 pm

Thank you for nominating me lovely! I hope I can squeeze this one somewhere too! 😉
    Childhood memories are the best! 👌😁😊
    Lots of xx

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 1:53 pm

No problem, I am really looking forward to reading your answers. No rush though, it is busy enough in the pre-christmas mayhem as is 🙂
      xx
      Anne

4. Karen Rees December 18, 2014 / 10:33 am

Loved reading this Anne, really intrigued by Sinterklaas… seems we really did pinch the idea!! lol Thank so much for the mention 🙂 Xo

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 10:44 am

Thanks for the nomination 🙂
      I believe Sinterklaas made it’s way to America with Dutch and German migrants and transformed into Santa there. It is a great story, but the best part are all the associated sweets (chocolate letters!)
      x
      Anne

• Karen Rees December 18, 2014 / 11:19 am

This sounds amazing – I’m so intrigued by things like this and love how other cultures can be so different yet very similar (if that make sense) lol Those pastry letters look yum… think I might need to make a visit one year and experience it all for myself 😀 X

• Anne December 18, 2014 / 11:45 am

Oh, I think you will like most of Holland. Just avoid Amsterdam in the weekend and you’ll be just fine 😀
          Let’s do an exchange: I’ll come hiking in Ireland and you can enjoy holland 😉

• Karen Rees December 18, 2014 / 12:21 pm

Sounds like a plan Anne, just need to get my out of date passport sorted and we’re off!!! haha 😀 X