Nails of the Week: Essie Spun in Luxe

I love Essie! Their nail polish comes in great colors and lasts longer on my relatively weak nails than any other brand I have tried so far. When I noticed the amazing dark blue Spun in Luxe color from the Cashmere Matte series I had to have it.

essie spun in luxe cashmere matte

I am not always a fan of matte polishes, but I really love this one. The slight shimmer in the polish makes it less multidimensional and the color is great. I happily admired my nails and went about my business…until I noticed a massive chip after only a couple of hours. Not what I am used to from Essie at all, they usually last at least four or five days on my nails. I took it all of and tried again, hoping this was just a fluke but no such luck. I even tried it with a top coat, which obviously removes the matte effect but I hoped would help extend it a little. You can see it here: only the ring finger has been left without top coat to see if I can detect a difference.essie spun in luxe cashmere matte

Unfortunately, this still chipped like crazy. I have done nothing different in application or use throughout the day, but I just cannot get Spun in Luxe to stay on my nails. A big thumbs down for my favorite nail polish brand, I can only imagine the matte effect weakens the polish. I am still a big fan of Essie, but will not be getting any more cashmere mattes.

Ik hou van Essie! Deze nagellakjes komen in geweldige kleurtjes en blijven langer zitten op mijn zwakke nagels dan elk ander merk dat ik geprobeerd heb. Toen ik de mooie donkerblauwe Spun in Luxe van de Cashmere Matte serie zag was ik dan ook meteen verkocht.

essie spun in luxe cashmere matte

Ik ben niet altijd een fan van matte lakjes, maar deze is wel mooi. De lichte glans in de nagellak geeft net wat meer diepte en de kleur is gewoon mooi. Ik lakte mijn nagels, bewonderde het resultaat en ging verder met mijn dag…tot ik na een paar uur een enorme chip zag. Niet wat ik gewend en van Essie, dat blijft normaal vier tot vijf dagen zitten op mijn nagels. Ik haalde alles eraf en probeerde het opnieuw maar het resultaat was hetzelfde. Ik heb de lak zelfs geprobeerd met een topcoat, waardoor het matte effect natuurlijk verdwijnt maar ik hoopte dat dit de houdbaarheid zou verbeteren. Je kunt het resultaat hieronder zien: alleen de ringvinger heeft geen top coat om te kijken of er verschil is.

essie spun in luxe cashmere matte

Helaas was de lak weer zo van mijn nagels af. Ik heb niks anders gedaan in het aanbrengen of gebruiken van mijn nagels, maar Spun in Luxe wil gewoon niet blijven zitten. Helaas echt een afgang voor mijn favoriete merk, ik denk dat het matte effect de lak erg verzwakt. Ik ben nog steeds een fan van Essie, maar de Cashmere Matte serie laat ik links liggen.

28 thoughts on “Nails of the Week: Essie Spun in Luxe

• Anne October 12, 2015 / 9:43 am

Such a shame, because the color is really nice πŸ™‚

1. Lifestylebites3 October 7, 2015 / 10:49 am

Colour looks too pretty with or without matte coat and you could also try barry M’s dark shades and matte top coat which works super brilliant and their formula is also very good.

• Anne October 8, 2015 / 8:34 am

Great suggestion! Barry M is top of my wishlist once I do a UK trip, the don’t sell them here 😦

• Anne October 7, 2015 / 9:16 am

Dark blue always looks good πŸ™‚

2. ymorbeauty October 7, 2015 / 3:22 am

It looks so good, but like you said, I heard the line sucks in terms of staying power. I feel it would be just as effective getting a clear matte coat and applying it on their regular colors.

• Anne October 7, 2015 / 9:16 am

I think that would be a better idea. A shame though, since the slight shimmer in these make the matte effect really special but the chipping is not worth it.

3. stashmatters October 7, 2015 / 2:57 am

Oh no! I bought a few of these Cashmere Mattes (Coat Couture, Comfy in Cashmere, and Just Stitched) but I have yet to try them. I hope they don’t chip like crazy on me. I never intend to wear them matte any way so I hope the top coat will help. Which top coat do you by the way? I think I’m going to have to try one next week to see how I get on with it… maybe I’ll do a review.

• Anne October 7, 2015 / 9:17 am

Oh I hope they work better for you! Maybe different colors are the trick?
      At the moment I only have the Quick Dry Essie version, still need to get my hands on their No Chip which might help.
      Let me know how your cashmeres work out!

• stashmatters October 7, 2015 / 1:29 pm

I’m going to try them next week and do a post! Thanks to you for reminding me that I need to try them!

• Anne October 7, 2015 / 9:27 am

Very pretty! Thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚
      xx Anne

4. fivezero October 6, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Oh that is so sad! I love the shades in this collection, and keep seeing them on clearance, but reviews like yours say they aren’t very good formulas. 😦 It does look gorgeous on you, though. What’s up with this, Essie!

• Anne October 6, 2015 / 5:11 pm

I know: I got it for on clearance as well, but thankfully just picked up one shade. It is so pretty, but I just can’t make it stick 😦

• Anne October 6, 2015 / 12:54 pm

I know and I even like the effect (though I don’t usually like matte polish). Oh well.

5. annie's beauty... October 6, 2015 / 12:17 pm

I would’ve thought it’s otherwise! That matte formulas would be more resistant! I guess I’m influenced by matte lippies! These are the resistant ones indeed!
    Love the colour though! Very appropriate for Autumn! πŸ‘ŒπŸΌπŸ˜‰
    Lots of xx, Annie | Annie’s Beauty

• Anne October 6, 2015 / 12:53 pm

You would think so right?! Tried it several times with different top and base coats but always had major chips after a day 😦
      xx Anne

• annie's beauty... October 6, 2015 / 12:58 pm

So unusual for an Essie nail polish! I got used to hear that all their products are amazing! 😳xx

• Anne October 7, 2015 / 9:32 am

They are: this is the only one I have ever had a problem with and I own quite a few (A)

• annie's beauty... October 7, 2015 / 2:40 pm

I know you always recommend them Anne, that’s where the shock came from! Well, “shock” it too much said but you get the drill! πŸ˜…xx

6. Heidie October 6, 2015 / 10:13 am

Hi! I just updated mine too! I got this Autumn wine red nailpolish that I looove. Also checked the one Essie has, but Essie nailpolishes are so pricey here in Finland…:(

• Anne October 6, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Oh that sounds like a lovely color. Anything berry or red is perfect for autumn πŸ™‚
      Too bad, they are expensive here but I usually wait for a decent sale.