The best foundation hack

Make Up Hack Foundation Face Oil (2)

You know those simple beauty hacks that you come across everywhere in the blogosphere but sound too good to be true so you just can’t be bothered to try? I tried one recently and I hope I can convince you to join me.

It is really simple and you have probably read about it on a ton of blogs already: adding a drop of oil to your foundation.

Mixing a little oil in with your (favorite) foundation will prevent that awful cakey look and create a glowing finish without changing the coverage of the product. I simply mix the foundation and oil on the back of my hand before applying.

Make Up Hack Foundation Face Oil (1)

The effects are really great and I can’t believe I haven’t tried this sooner. It has even made me start using some older foundations from my stash that I previously found to drying or matte on my skin.

Honestly, this is too simple so just give it a go! Or tell me your favorite oil-foundation combinations: I am still experimenting myself.

Ken je die simpele beauty trucjes die je op elk blog tegenkomt maar die te mooi klinken om waar te zijn, waardoor je het niet eens probeert? Ik testte er laatst zo eentje en ik hoop dat ik jou ook kan overhalen.

Make Up Hack Foundation Face Oil (2)

Het is heel makkelijk en je bent het vast al op heel veel blogs tegengekomen: voeg een druppeltje olie toe aan je foundation.

Door een klein beetje olie met je (favoriete) foundation te mengen voorkom je die verschrikkelijke cakey pannenkoek effect en creΓ«er je een glanzende finish zonder de dekking van het product te beΓ―nvloeden. Ik meng de foundation en olie simpelweg op mijn hand voordat ik het aanbreng.

Make Up Hack Foundation Face Oil (1)

Het effect is echt geweldig en ik kan niet geloven dat ik dit nier eerder geprobeerd heb. Ik ben zelf weer een aantal oudere foundations gaan gebruiken die ik eerder te mat of droog vond voor mijn huid.

Echt: probeer dit trucje eens! Of vertel me jouw favoriete olie-foundation combinaties: ik ben zelf nog aan het experimenteren.

26 thoughts on “The best foundation hack

1. Amelia Vesper November 30, 2015 / 7:25 am

Very interesting! I will have to give this a shot. I wonder if it would also breathe life back into some older foundations that are drying up a bit…

• Anne December 1, 2015 / 7:39 pm

It might actually do wonders for that as well, great idea πŸ™‚

2. stashmatters November 26, 2015 / 11:56 pm

I may give this a try with a heavier foundation that I have in my stash. I always find some of those to look good initially but by early afternoon, they do tend to look cakey. BUT, with my combination skin, I’d have to concentrate the oil in just problem areas instead of all over.

• Anne November 28, 2015 / 11:00 am

Definitely worth a shot. I would say that my most greasy area (my nose) gets a little more shiny than it normally would, but nothing a little powder can’t fix for me. Might be a bit trickier with combination skin, let me know how you get on!

• stashmatters November 28, 2015 / 5:13 pm

I’m going to test it today with the MAC BB cream which I found to be heavy and sat on my skin. Hopefully the addition of the oil will help!

• Anne November 30, 2015 / 1:05 pm

I have done it with several foundations I didn’t really like, some worked better others remained mwah. Let me know how it goes!

3. Wonderlusting Lynda November 26, 2015 / 8:48 pm

I’ve got dry skin so have been doing this for years. I like jojoba, rosehip or camellia. I also sometimes add a serum instead

• Anne November 28, 2015 / 11:10 am

It makes such a difference, can’t believe I haven’t tried it sooner. The serum sounds like a lovely idea as well, thanks for the tip!

• Anne November 28, 2015 / 11:11 am

Well I have tried it with some of my facial oils that I happened to be using (bodyshop and dr jackson in my case), but it should work with pretty much any oil. I have been meaning to try it with just natural oils like almond or avocado. xx

• Anne November 28, 2015 / 11:12 am

You should, really made a lot of difference for me πŸ™‚

4. jodi - a brash attitude November 26, 2015 / 1:31 pm

Great idea! I will try combining my Paula’s Choice Oil Booster with my Nars foundation to see how it works. πŸ™‚

• Anne November 28, 2015 / 11:13 am

Oh I haven’t tried it with my Nars yet but thanks for reminding me πŸ˜€ Let me know how it works for you πŸ™‚

• jodi - a brash attitude November 28, 2015 / 1:31 pm

It made my foundation go on so smoothly, but I think that I will wait until my skin gets drier once it is fully winter as I found it made my skin a little greasy (nothing that some powder couldn’t fix).

• Anne November 30, 2015 / 1:10 pm

I will admit it does make you go a little greasy earlier on, but I don’t mind a little powder in the afternoon.

• Anne November 28, 2015 / 11:13 am

I have just used the facial oils I am currently using, but I assume plain natural oils like almond would work equally well πŸ™‚ xx

5. Lifestylebites3 November 26, 2015 / 11:06 am

First of all, I really like those lovely wordings as the background setting as it instantly creates a good atmosphere to read through the rest of the post and especially, I love oil based foundations and I literally agree, how a drop of oil makes a miraculous wonder within a second to hype up any foundation. Great post.

• Anne November 28, 2015 / 11:14 am

Thanks: I had the same reaction when I saw the card in the store, so I just needed to have it πŸ˜€