Go Bro’nze: Essence 2 in 1 eyeshadow & liner

Essence 2 in 1 eye shadow & liner 01 go bro'nzeA serendipitous little Olympic theme to today’s post with this bronze Essence 2 in 1 eyeshadow & liner. These convenient eyeshadow pens are having a little moment, so I decided to grab this budget version by Essence to test it for myself.

There are six different shades available and I went for 01 Go Bro’nze: a deep beige with a lovely shimmer. Great color for blue or green eyes. At €2,89 ( £2.49 or $3.20), this eyeshadow pen is certainly very affordable.Unfortunately, the quality isn’t what I had hoped for.

My main problem is the lasting power. Essence calls this a waterproof product and indicates on the packaging it needs to be removed using a waterproof eye make-up remover. On my eyelids, this eyeshadow shows visible creasing after four hours and disappears almost completely after five. The good news? No need for a special cleanser, but I had expected a little more.

Essence 2 in 1 eye shadow & liner 01 go bro'nze

I also struggle with the concept of this as a 2 in 1 product suitable as a eyeshadow and eyeliner. As an eyeshadow this works very well: the broad tip makes it easy to apply this to the lid and a little blending with your fingers gives a great and easily achieved look. As a liner though…I just can’t work it out: the tip is way too broad to produce anything close to a decent line.

Not quite the succes I was hoping for. The color is lovely though, so I will be using it with a primer to ensure longevity even if it sort of defeats the purpose of an eyeshadow in a convenient pen form.

17 thoughts on “Go Bro’nze: Essence 2 in 1 eyeshadow & liner

1. Sakura Vietnam August 15, 2016 / 8:40 am

Essence have some nice, wonderfull products but they sometimes suprise us with some weird products as well.
    Too bad, the color looks sooo good.

• Anne August 17, 2016 / 9:46 am

Essence products are somehow either really wonderful or completely dreadful. They do some amazing eyeliners though.

2. ClassicMaggie August 14, 2016 / 4:43 pm

I find most Essence products are either fantastic or horrible – there’s not many in between. Sorry to hear this falls into the latter – it looked and sounded promising!

• Anne August 17, 2016 / 9:48 am

Very true: it is always love or hate with essence. Don’t really know why…

• Anne August 17, 2016 / 9:50 am

I honestly don’t get the entire eyeliner thing either. Thanks 😀

3. lipstickonthelake August 13, 2016 / 10:45 pm

Pretty colour, but too bad it wasn’t as successful as you were hoping it to be! I never quite understood the marketing on those chubby pencils as eyeliners. I have an Urban Decay one and I pretty much only use it for either an all over lid colour on it’s own, or as an all over lid colour as a base for sheerer shades.

• Anne August 17, 2016 / 9:50 am

Good to hear you don’t get the eyeliner thing either: honestly how are you supposed to do that?!

4. stashy August 12, 2016 / 9:08 pm

Too bad. I agree, those chubby pencils aren’t good as eyeliners!

• Anne August 13, 2016 / 9:55 am

I honestly don’t understand how brands can think they will work as an eyeliner.

5. Icy Sedgwick August 12, 2016 / 7:23 pm

Oh that’s a shame! But yeah, I don’t know how you could use that as a liner.

• Anne August 13, 2016 / 9:55 am

Exactly: way too chubby!

• Anne August 13, 2016 / 9:56 am

It is a lovely color, just not the quality I was hoping for. Essence does make some amazing products, just not this particular one.

6. Yiota August 12, 2016 / 12:23 pm

I love Essence and it is always amazing how affordable and nice their products are! But there are a few that are big disappointments, like this one. Too bad it was not you were hoping for!

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

• Anne August 13, 2016 / 9:56 am

Same here! They have some amazing stuff in their collection and the occasional horrific disappointment. xx Anne