Purging my Stash

Purging the stash

This insane changeable summer weather of late -no honestly, right now it is pouring with rain and grey, yet two days ago I was wandering around in a dress enjoying the sunshine -has been irritating, but those dreary Sundays are perfect for cleaning and organising. Inspired by Stashy from Stash Matters, I decided it was time to get rid of some stuff I simply don’t use and older products that have passed their use by date (in some cases, I am a little ashamed to admit, by quite some margin). Let’s have a look at what is going into the trash.

Purging the stash

It turns out, I have a tendency to hoard older lip products. Some of these are nearly finished, while others are barely used because I disliked the color. Most lipsticks and glosses have a limited shelf life and you can imagine they are an easy hotbed for bacteria, so these are all going in the trash. You can tell I loved those long lasting lip stains in all different shades and I will definitely be on the lookout to replace some of those. Tips are welcome!

Purging the stash

The Nivea body cream and Dr. Organic Moroccan Argan Oiil are going in the trash because they are far past their best and I just haven’t been able to finish them (mostly I was distracted by testing newer and more exciting products for the blog). The make-up products, on the other hand, were just let downs. The eye shadows lack colour pay-off, the BB cream just wasn’t my thing, and do not get me started in the scented mascara. Yup, you read that right: it has a cloying vanilla scent. No, I don’t understand it either,

I have to say it feels nice to get rid of products that really need to go and create some more space for the stuff I do love I also discovered loads of stuff I had sort of forgotten about while going through everything, so it was definitely worth it. I might have to plan these on regular basis, maybe once every six months.

9 thoughts on “Purging my Stash

1. Eugenie September 6, 2016 / 8:23 am

I know this is the right thing to do, you are clever to purge old products! However I use make up so sparingly, I would have to throw out things which have been barely used. I am not sure, maybe I could store them in the fridge?

2. fivezero August 25, 2016 / 6:54 pm

Aww, poor lippies. I have such a hard time throwing stuff out, unless it’s gone off or something. Good job!

3. Beautylymin August 24, 2016 / 7:18 pm

I do this every six months and tend to give things that I no longer like or use to my sister in Law’s nieces who are in their early teens & love to get some new make-up! xx

Beautylymin

• Anne August 25, 2016 / 9:21 am

I really ought to as well, it was rather nice to clean things up a little. Excellent idea giving stuff away as well 😀 These were mostly over the date or horrible, but it is a lovelt idea for next time.
      xx Anne

4. Icy Sedgwick August 24, 2016 / 7:04 pm

I’m awful at getting rid of things. I remember going through a pile of lipsticks and being appalled at the smell…some of them were about eight years old and smelled like Play-Doh! I’ll have to have a clear out myself!

• Anne August 25, 2016 / 9:21 am

Me too! This one was really overdue but it made me feel so much better when I was through.

5. stashy August 23, 2016 / 3:35 pm

It’s quite bittersweet to purge beloved items that are just too old! I hope you find suitable replacements for those lip stains – there are so many new offering on the market I’m sure you’ll find something! 😉
    Scented mascaras are weird… but of the few that I’ve tried (without knowing they were scented beforehand) the formulas were all quite GOOD though, strangely…
    Every 6 months sound like a good interval!

• Anne August 25, 2016 / 9:23 am

It is a little bittersweet, but also really rewarding once you are through and have some more space for new stuff 🙂
      I am sure I will find some decent replacements: the only downside of purging is that it creates an excuse to shop.
      Scented mascaras are plain crazy: I loved the formula of this one but the smell was so overpowering and hurt my sensitive eyes so it had to go.

• stashy August 25, 2016 / 3:36 pm

It is true! I do find myself wanting to replace what I purged (plus MORE) but since I’m on a low buy, I’m keeping myself accountable that way.